City blues

Days 50 & 51: Nathan P. Murphy’s
Springfield, MO

Day 50 was actually a drive and work day. Those type of days tend to be fairly uneventful (thankfully!). We woke up, grabbed some breakfast (which was actually lunch by the time we got going), and then on to the highway toward Springfield we went, which seemed to be the longest 3 hour drive ever. We did some office work in one of the busiest Starbucks I’ve ever seen, every table was packed with college kids doing homework and such. The internet was so bogged down with users that I didn’t even bother setting up my laptop, and just used my iPhone and the cellular network to do what I had to do. After a few hours, Nate and I decided it was a good night to follow one of our tour traditions and go see a movie. We went to see Ender’s Game, a sci-fi movie based on a mid 80’s novel. The movie screen was huge (but not an IMAX), and the digital projector put up one of the crispest images that Nate or I had ever seen. After the movie we met back up with everyone and headed to camp out at Walmart.
The next morning we stopped across the highway for a Waffle House breakfast, and then back over to Starbucks for more computer work. When evening came, we packed up and headed downtown for some street promo.
Downtown Springfield, MO is not like most U.S. cities. There are no skyscrapers dotting the skyline. As a matter of fact, I didn’t see any buildings over 8 stories tall. The air of the city was a very liberal one, artsy and open.
The club we were playing was an old blues club, turned metal club, turned back to a semi-blues/rock club. The owner, Dr. Bob, was one of the nicest people you’d ever meet.
Half an hour before show time our booked local support cancelled. Luckily, our street promo garnished some people, and, our new Missouri friends John (the monstrously big army drill Sargent) and his wife Rachel, who drove four hours to see us, and they brought friends!
Because we were now the only ones on the bill, we had some freedom to play a longer set, including a Nathan solo of Taylor Swift’s ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’… (Ok, ok, ok…. I just made that up…. Or did I?)
After the show, we hung out with John and co. for a bit, then had to get started on our 5 and a half hour drive to the next city.