Days 5&6: CPRfest
Biloxi, MS

As we drove down the highway through Alabama there was quite a bit of concern that CPRfest might be canceled/postponed due to heavy rain and electrical storms. Torrential rain battered our bus as we trucked along the interstate. Luckily though, along the coast the weather held, and the show went on.
The first thing we did when we reached the area was to drop off the gear at the CPRfest after party club that we were playing. While the guys sound checked, I took the bus over to our Mississippi mechanic friend Mike, for a check up and to have a few minor issues looked at. It turned out that we had a potentially serious issue brewing with our steering column, but Mike tore it down and fixed the issue, with an unparalleled speed and precision.
Mike’s shop is actually a high end restoration business, and attached to the shop is a museum of sorts, with about 35 different restored vehicles, of various makes and models, dating back to 1930. My favorite was either the Chevelle SS or the ‘72 Stingray… One day I’ll have my own classic muscle car… One day…
The guys met me at the shop after sound check, and once Mike had the bus back together we headed down to CPRfest. The radio station hooked us up with all access passes, so we hung backstage and side stage for a bit, and spent some time in the media pit in front of the stage.
The official after party that we played was at a sports bar a few miles from the festival. The crowd that came down was great, they were all really into the music. The radio station that was hosting the event, WCPR, was promoting the show on air all day, so we had a good mix of bar regulars, festival goers, radio people, and other artists that performed at the festival that day.
After the show, we decided to spend our day off in Biloxi. We stayed at our friend Scott Fox of WCPR’s house and had a classic All-American Sunday… BBQ and football, followed by a trip to the Casino, which was offering a free buffet for signing up with their member services…. After that, it was back to our temporary abode for a good nights sleep before heading to The Big Easy….